Friday, October 28, 2011

The One Year Mark!

Last weekend, Vance and I celebrated our one year anniversary! As I looked back, it almost seemed surreal how much we learned, discovered, and crammed into that first year of marriage. I will always look back on our newlywed year with a smile on my face. Although it was difficult at times, we had a LOT of fun, and I wouldn't trade my experiences with my husband for anything. I am so pleased that we made the decision to travel life's journeys together.

We both took Friday off from work, and spent the day at the Hogle Zoo. We could not have asked for more PERFECT weather! It was so sunny and warm (with just a hint of that cool, crisp fall air I love so much), and the colors of the leaves on the trees everywhere were to die for. Because the weather was so amazing, the animals were in especially good moods, and enjoyed playing and being outside as much as we did. Vance and I screamed and squealed with delight when the baby elephant performed little tricks, the orangutan surfed along its trees, the giraffes ate their lunches, and when the the billy goats revealed their long beards to us. I swear I have never had this much fun at the zoo in my whole life.

Next, we checked into our Bed and Breakfast at the Armstrong Mansion in SLC. If any of you are looking for a comfy/cozy romantic weekend getaway, this is the place! I really felt like I was living in a blissful little fairy tale. I've provided the link so you can check it out! http://armstrongmansion.com/index.html

We LOVED our stay. The service was warm and friendly, the themed bedrooms were so unique and fun to look at, and the food was amazing! I can honestly say that they served the best quiche I have ever eaten in my life. The cinnamon rolls tasted like they had burnt almond flavored right into them, and the cobbler and fresh fruit were equally delicious.

Vance and I went to Macaroni Grill for dinner on Friday night (yum!) and exchanged gifts. I made him a scrapbook album, filled with pictures and fun memories of our first year of marriage together, and he surprised me with a gorgeous diamond wedding band! I can honestly say I was just as excited when he pulled this ring out and lifted the box open, as I was when he proposed to me with my engagement ring. The two rings look beautiful together, and I could not be more tickled about it. I get twitterpated every time I look down at my finger. Vance is such a sweet husband, and he is constantly surprising me. I do not know what I did to deserve him, but I sure am not complaining :)

The next morning after breakfast (anniversary day!), we drove to Park City and went shopping and enjoyed some art galleries on mainstreet. Again, the weather was perfect, and autumn in Park City is basically heaven on earth. It was so breathtakingly beautiful. At the outlet mall, we each picked out a few items we liked, and decided to cough up the money and buy them. We normally don't go luxury shopping, but since it was a special occassion, we decided to splurge on a few new items. I got some cute, light sweaters, and Vance got a zip up jacket and a new Fossil watch face that was on sale, for his wrist band. Then we enjoyed strolling PC Main Street and admiring the artwork and overly priced clothing.

Before heading back to Orem, we stopped by my parents in Midway for a quick hello, and to pick up the frozen top layer of our wedding cake. After it thawed a few hours later, we fed each other a little bit of cake, and although it was slightly dry, it still tasted oober delicious. The cake was the perfect end to a perfect couple days. We thoroughly enjoyed our simple weekend getaway and I'm already looking forward to our next anniversary! I had no idea anniversaries would be so fun and feel so rewarding!

Below are a few pictures from our fun day(s).  Enjoy!

Chillin' with the scarecrows at Hogle Zoo :)

The star of the show!

Monkeys text too!


We were obsessed with this tree!

Our new friend, Billy :)


So this is what it feels like to be a gopher :)

Help! I'm trapped!

The scenic route

Apparently we weren't worth impressing, 'cause he didn't peacock for us




ARGGG Matey!

Yo ho! Yo Ho!

Coming back from dinner

The new band!

Chillin' on the bed

Pretty paintings on the wall

The parlor where we dined in the morning

The happy couple :)

Staircase shot


The Armstrong Mansion

Sniffing the flowers

No hat this time

Park City :)



Me n' Little Miss Piggy

Vance has been wanting to see this Banksy, so I showed him where it was :)

 


In front of the Rolex pole

One year later and it still tastes g-o-o-d!





 


1 comment: