Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Worth a Shot

Still going strong with progesterone shots! These shots help thicken my uterine lining. Progesterone is necessary for implantation of the fertilized egg in the uterus and for maintaining pregnancy.


Our first progesterone shot was on Thursday, April 21st...same day as the egg retrieval. I was scared to death of making it to this point in IVF with these shots, because the needle is so fat and long. We all know how well I do with needles. Plus, I was panicked having Vance be the one to give me the shots, because....well....he'd never given me a shot with a big ass needle before. That first night of the shot hurt like hell. The actual injection wasn't too bad, but about 10 minutes later, my entire left backside and into my leg started tingling/burning and aching. Between my procedure earlier that day, and my first shot, I could barely move and when I did walk around, I moved like a little old lady.

My second night progesterone shot was even worse. We just got back from the temple, and I had prayed in the temple that I would have the strength to endure these shots that scared me and were causing me pain. After about 5 minutes of me trying to procrastinate the inevitable, Vance finally gave me the shot on my right side. Even with the music we play to keep me calm, and the baby chick decor I look at to make me smile, I could feel the needle going in and it really freaked me out. Almost immediately after, I felt the burn and my right side growing achy. Now both sides of my buttocks were extremely tender.

I laid down on our bed and had a complete meltdown. I couldn't stop sobbing. I could barely move because both sides of my body were so achy and sore, and I couldn't imagine that 48 hours would allow either side to heal soon enough before it was time to give myself a shot again in the same area all over again. And to do/feel this way every day for 2 months! I was being a baby; I knew I was being ridiculous. Many strong and brave women have gone through this, so I should be able to as well. I could do the tummy shots, I could do the vaginal ultrasounds, I could do the egg retrieval, I could do the uncomfortable embryo transfer, I could deal with the tender breasts and the extreme bloating, and I could even handle the constant blood draws and the IV, but these progesterone shots were proving to be the only hurdle I felt like I couldn't and didn't want to handle. I think the entire process of IVF caught up with me that night as I hysterically bawled in my bed. Vance was so sweet and just cuddled me as I cried.

(Note: Can I just say what an amazing husband and support Vance has been through this whole thing? He is so good at giving me my shots, is patient in waiting for me to calm my nerves before he injects mes, and rubs my tender areas afterwards. He thought that giving me shots would freak him out too, but he says that he has been strong because he knows he has to be. I love him so much and don't know what I would do without him.)

Saturday night (April 23) was my 3rd night of these dreadful shots, and my first shot back on the original side. Just as I had suspected, 48 hours later my left side was still sore – and just in time for a long needle full of serum to work its way back into my tender muscles! After a long freak out of not wanting to do it, I finally braved it up long enough for Vance to give me my shot. I laid down and waited for the stinging/aching to kick in, which it did.

Sleeping those first few nights was not easy. I would turn to one side and feel pain, so I would move to the other side, and feel more pain. There was no getting comfortable.

We had our embryo transfer the following Tuesday (April 26) and after it was over, I asked the nurses if it was normal to be in as much pain from the shots as I was in. I knew I would feel a little bit sore and irritated, but this was worse than I had expected. The pain was covering a large majority of my lower back and backside area, and I could barely sit. They asked to see where Vance had been poking me. Vance had been lining the shots up with the top of my (ahem, butt crack), and going out to the side and a little bit above. He had been following where a video we watched said to inject. The nurses said he should actually be going up on my love handle area, which is higher up and out to the side a bit more. They drew circles on my body so that he could see his target area that night.

Ever since Vance has switched injections to the love handle region, the pain has reduced drastically and I can sit and sleep again! It's amazing what a difference I have felt. I am so glad I asked the nurses about this issue instead of just accepting that how I was feeling was probably normal, because it wasn't. The shots Vance gave me the first few days still worked into my system effectively, but now I don't have to be in so much pain afterwards.

I still hate the shots, but ever since we had our embryo transfer, I've been able to handle them. They printed us out a picture of our sweet little day 5 embryo (blastocyst), and also an ultrasound picture of where the embryo landed in my uterus. I stare at those pictures (along with the baby chicks and the music) while Vance gives me my shots, to remind myself of why I am doing this.

My happy place as I'm getting poked :)

Red circle indicates where the embryo landed

Our potential little Nemo is worth a shot. In fact, he/she is worth hundreds of shots! I'll do it today, I'll do it again tomorrow, and I'll do it for years to come if I have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment