Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Has Spring Sprung?

Well that was an interesting January, and I'm not talking about any of the events that occurred.

I'm referring to the weather. Never have I been so confused by a Utah winter in my entire life.


Not once did my lips turn their natural shade of blue, nor did my hands become a permanent block of ice.  I never experienced the painful feeling of the blood defrosting in my fingertips as a result of frozen phalanges. My lower jaw didn't chatter at a million miles a minute. My "chicken skin" goosebumps were kept to a minimal. I rarely had to defrost my car, or wear my pink rubber snow boots, and I surely never had to scrape the windows of my car.

I didn't scream in pain as a result of walking through windy, icy air. I didn't fall flat on my bum whilst walking out the door. I didn't watch my breath stand frozen in mid air. My wet hair didn't turn to slush on the way to work. My car didn't slide all over the road as a result of constant snow. We didn't have to dig our cars out of any snow banks. We drove through Provo Canyon many times without ever really having to worry if it would be safe or not. Deer Creek Lake never once looked like a giant skating rink. I didn't FREEZE.

Instead, here's what DID happen.

We went outdoor mini golfing in our t-shirts. We saw people out walking dogs in light jackets. I heard many birds chirping. I drove around town with my windows rolled down. We witnessed neighbors raking leaves and having garage sales. I dressed the majority of each day like it was late fall or early spring. I left the office in the evening and drove home while it was still light. Everything was so convenient. If you grew up in Utah, you know that the winter months are practically never easy and are certainly not convenient.

As a result, I had anxiety and often caught myself freaking out. Don't get me wrong, I loved it- It was just such a strange experience for me. This is not a winter I have ever known or experienced in my 25 years of life. My body, nor my mindset just weren't prepared to take a vacation from what is usually the bleakest, most depressing time of the year.

Strangely, this is also the first year I was actually hoping it would be FREEZING cold, so that it could maybe help get rid of our apartment's spider infestation problem. We haven't seen very many of these horrible creatures since fall started, but I'm nervous that with such a warm, mild winter, this summer will be nuts. Last summer was awful- we found hundreds of disgustingly creepy legs crawling around our home, and that was after a pretty harsh winter.  If you know me at all,  you know that I absolutely hate spiders and am deathly afraid of them. There is NOTHING worse to me than knowing a spider is in my home. I wanted this winter to just completely freeze and kill them all, but with this spring-like weather, they probably never even left or died :( Sigh.

On another note, and an ending on at that, here's a (super) quick little timeline of what the hubs and I did this month:

We went to a Jazz game and watched our men kill Deron Williams and the Nets.


I still slightly cheered for Deron, but only a little bit
and....
 
Went tubing at Soldier Hollow. (It finally snowed a smidge towards the end of the month, but the machines still had to make a majority of it).







Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I seriously love your posts! Funny, catchy.. and even when they are on the longer side of most blogs... I am hooked to the end hanging on every word! Love you Annie!

    This winter is crazy and on one hand I miss "seeing" all the snow, but I LOVE that I don't have to experience it!

    ReplyDelete